See the WordPress support page for more info.
The All Posts list
By default, the posts will be listed in order by date. The newest posts and scheduled posts will be listed first. The order can be changed by clicking either the heading “Title”, comment icon, or heading “Date” at the top of the list.
The types of posts listed can also be filtered. Users can filter by Date or by Category using the drop down option. Posts can also be filtered by selecting the different status tabs at the top.
- The Mine tab will show all posts that the user has created.
- The Trash tab will show posts that have been deleted or trashed.
- Posts in Trash can be restored or deleted permanently manually.
- Posts in the Trash will remain for 30 days. After that, they will be deleted permanently automatically.
- The other status tabs (Published, Scheduled, Draft, etc) will show posts with the corresponding status.
From the list view, posts can be “quick edited”. Hover over the post and click Quick Edit. From here, the user can edit various aspects of the post without having to go into the full editor.
Post Content, Attributes, and Other Settings
Title: This is the name of the page. It will be displayed at the top of the page.
URL slug (Permalink): This is the last part of the URL. Try to keep the slug simple and short.
By default, the Post URL will be the Publish Date followed by Post Title. The slug can be changed via Permalink settings within the Post editor (found under the Title in classic editor and under Document settings in the Gutenberg/Block editor).
The Post URL format can be changed as well by going to the Dashboard view -> Settings -> Permalink. There the user can choose which URL format option they like most.
Main Content: The content here is what will be shown on the post. For more information, please see Editor page.
Status: A Page can have one of four statuses:
- Published – The post is live and going to its URL will show the post (depending on visibility (see below)).
- Scheduled – The post will be published on the scheduled date.
- Pending Review – The post is ready to be published, but needs approval from a higher role user.
- Draft – The post is not live and is only visible to the site’s users.
Visibility: A Post can have one of three visibility options
- Public – Anyone can view the post.
- Private – Only visible to site admins and Editors.
- Password Protected – Only those will the password can view the post.
The Categories belonging to the site will be shown and the user can add a new Category here as well if they don’t want to leave the editor.
To add Tags, type in the desired Tag name. Tags that belong to your site will appear as options via drop down. The user can also type in the name of a Tag that does not exist on the site – these will automatically be added to the site after hitting the Update or Publish button.
Featured Image: Depending on site theme, the Featured Image will be shown and utilized in different ways. For example, using this site’s theme (Hestia) the Featured Image is added to the background behind the post title.
Discussion: Toggle whether or not comments will be allowed. Generally WCSU sites do not allow comments.