Chapter 4 Determinants, Eigenvalues, and Eigenvectors¶
- Be able to compute determinants.
- Be able to find eigenvalues and eigenvectors for small matrices.
- Understand the relationship between determinants and transformations.
- Use cofactors to find matrix inverses.
- View eigenvectors graphically in relation to transformations.
- See how to use a computer algebra system to help calculate and visualize eigenvectors.
In this unit we learn about determinants. Our goal is to understand not only how to calculate determinants but more importantly to understand what determinants tell us about transformations both directly and through the calculation of eigenvectors.